Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Google releases Metro-style Windows 8 browser

| |

As promised, Google released its first stab at a Metro style enabled desktop browser for Windows 8 this week.
 The new Chrome has a multi-tabbed interface and looks sufficiently like its desktop counterpart that it’s likely to win a big thumbs up precisely because it’s not Metro-ized.


To unlock the Metro style browser, you have to be running the Windows 8 Release Preview and you need to set Chrome as the default browser. Doing so changes the Chrome icon on the Start screen, as shown above:
It’s obvious from this first attempt that Google either hasn’t studied the Metro design guidelines or has studiously ignored them.
In its Metro personality, Chrome 21.0.1171.0 doesn’t use any Metro style conventions: right-clicking or pressing Windows key+Z should reveal the App bar at the bottom of the screen, where app-specific commands reside. Google has decided instead to replicate its browser menu in the Metro container.
Right-clicking elsewhere on a web page results in more context menus. That’s business as usual for desktop programs but a deviation from Metro design guidelines.
In its announcement last week, Google promised that the first Metro release would “include integration with basic Windows 8 functionality, such as charms and snap view.” This build technically delivers on that promise, but the word basic is key. You can use the Settings charm, for example, but all of the Chrome-specific options simply open settings pages or dialogs in the browser.
A few Windows 8-specific options didn’t work until after I had signed out and then signed back in after installing the new Chrome. The Search charm, for example, appeared to allow the Windows 8 search interface to work with the Metro-style Chrome, but on my test system clicking the Search button did nothing until after I signed in for a new session.
The new build resembles Microsoft’s Internet Explorer in one key respect: the new Chrome supports Flash playback, with Flash Player 11.3.31.109 available using the built-in Flash code that’s part of Chrome. Unlike IE 10, Flash playback in Chrome isn’t limited to sites that are on a managed whitelist. Flash content—even in ads—will apparently play back from any site.
If this were a pure Metro app, Google would have to deliver it through the Windows Store, where Microsoft could presumably veto it for its design transgressions. But “Metro Style enabled desktop browsers” are a special type of hybrid app; because the code is delivered through external channels, Microsoft has no ability to give it a thumbs down.
Windows 8 designers will probably be annoyed by this deviation from what a Metro app is supposed to be. Google has promised that it will be “smoothing out the UI on Metro and improving touch support” over the next few months. Chrome fans, however, might not care.

13 comments:

The post was able to express what it wants to convey to the readers. It has been a very effective approach which resulted to a profitable output for all who have been fortunate enough to come across it! http://celabright.net

Hey man was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. http://scarprin.info/

Hey man was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. http://scarprin.info/

Author

I have to say this post was certainly informative and contains useful content for enthusiastic visitors. I will definitely bookmark this blog for future reference and further viewing. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us!
Weight Loss in Canton

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this unique read. I definitely savoured all bits and pieces of it including all the comments and I have added you to my bookmark list to check out new articles you post.
algebra help

Author

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible as you gain expertise would you mind updating your blog with more information? as it is extremely helpful for me.
Planet Hospital

Author

This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank you for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.
Planet Hospital

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this unique read. I definitely savoured all bits and pieces of it including all the comments and I have added you to my bookmark list to check out new articles you post.
BLOG

These kind of articles are always attractive and I am happy to find so many good point here in the post writing is simply great thanks for sharing.
T1

I have seen fantastic blogs and I have seen not so fantastic blogs. This blog is very informative in many ways and certainloy ranks in the former category. Really appreciate the information your providing use avid readers!
telemarketing list

Author

The post was able to express what it wants to convey to the readers. It has been a very effective approach which resulted to a profitable output for all who have been fortunate enough to come across it!
new york web design

Author

Why join a Binary options forum?
Binary options forum opens an avenue to receive all the important information that you need about daily trade and how to go about it.
forex trading

Author

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading what you all have to say...
Fast House Sale San Antonio

Post a Comment